Sunday, December 29, 2013

Holding my breath, fingers crossed…

There was an overwhelming sense of déjà vu as R and I sat waiting in the breast clinic on Saturday morning, surrounded by other anxious women, none of them smiling. 

The breast clinic is the place where nobody ever smiles. 

I remembered the sheer choking terror of my first visit there, just over a year ago, the surgeon who didn’t condescend to introduce himself to me, the two hours I spent lying on a bed on my side with my arms above my head having endless ultrasound and two biopsies, how they knew I had cancer but I was too dazed to ask, and so they didn’t tell me until the following week, when we came back for the pathology results…

Ah, happy days.

This time it was all rather different, however: a pleasant female surgeon, only a couple of minutes’ wait before going for the ultrasound, and a huge sense of relief as the doctor stared at the ultrasound screen and immediately said ‘It looks like scar tissue to me’.

They did a biopsy, nevertheless, as you can’t be 100% certain of a negative result from the ultrasound and, as the surgeon said, ‘Sometimes there are surprises’.

I will go back to get the results on Friday.

In the meantime, I’m holding my breath and keeping my fingers firmly crossed.

I’ve only just got my life back, and I’m praying it’s not going to be taken away again.

9 comments:

  1. and….EXHALE….Happy New Year HH. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything crossed for you. It IS going to be a Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO HAPPY for you!!!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like good news-but know you won't be able to relax till next Friday.
    It is such a long, stressful and emotionally exhausting ride. Will be thinking of you on Friday. Mairex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping you get good news next week. I had to go back 3 weeks ago re a lump on my other side and had a mammo and ultrasound, all was ok, but I felt terrible going through the whole process again. The woman who did my mammogram told me that I would be a hypochondriac just like she became after having cancer years ago, think she is probably right. It is always best to check these things out however upsetting it may be. Fingers crossed for you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything crossed for you! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Caroline, It really never stops, does it? I'll be thinking of you on Friday willing a negative result. I return on Monday for an annual mammogram, as luck (!) would have it, on the anniversary of my diagnosis. Festivities have kept my mind off it this year, but thoughts creep back quickly with all the new aches and pains suffered as a result of treatment (regardless what the oncs have told me!)

    With the horror of 2013 now finished (lets be positive!) I hope 2014 is memorable for you for all the right reasons. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am holding my breath and crossing my fingers.

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.