Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Nuclear half-life

General status update
Radiotherapy, day 29 

Radiation burn: getting worse before it gets better.

Nausea demon: he brought me a bunch of tulips the other day – he doesn’t like seeing me suffering like this. We talked nostalgically of all those dawn breakfasts together during chemo, when I was at least able to sit up.

Radiation demon: this is light duty for him, as he’s only torturing one breast rather than the whole body, so he’s got plenty of time to do Sudoku as well.

Anxiety level/insane euphoria (+/- 1-10,000): I would give anything for a few Dexys and a big surge of unnatural chemical exuberance right now, but unfortunately they don’t prescribe steroids for radiation burns.

Despair Demon: has set up camp in the airing cupboard once again, and keeps reminding me that this is my punishment for regarding radiotherapy as a mere formality after chemo. I wish he’d just sod off back to the Infernal Regions and leave me alone.

Chemo Muse: itching to get back to her new role as my swimming coach, and currently filling in the time by reading Ian Thorpe’s autobiography. She says I’m never going to be a champion swimmer because my feet just aren’t big enough.

Chemo Brian: very understanding about me spending so much time lying on the bed at the moment, rather than joining him in my usual position on the sofa.

State of mind: low – have to keep reminding myself that all this unpleasantness derives from the treatment, not the illness, and that soon it will be over. And then I can start taking the frigging Tamoxifen.







Legend relates that St. Lawrence, depicted above in a painting which may or may not be by Caravaggio, was martyred by being tied on top of an iron grill over a slow fire that roasted his flesh little by little.

I’m beginning to know exactly how he felt.

Since the final dose of radiation, a week ago, I have continued to burn, and the pain and discomfort on, under and around my breast has increased. It is red and raw and acutely painful, and as the layers of skin burn off I feel as if I am being very slowly flayed alive.

 This is a situation in which having a D cup breast is a distinct disadvantage, since the weight of the breast exacerbates the problem. The only way I can be comfortable is to lie down, breast bared, back slightly arched, with my arm extended above and behind my head on the bed at full stretch.

This improves things a great deal, and is said to be the best way to help the breast to heal, but it considerably limits my range of other activities. Aloe vera gel helps to cool and soothe it, but the breast will continue to burn for another week, apparently, as the radiation continues to work for two weeks after the treatment has finished. Only then will it begin to heal, and there is nothing else that can be done, so for now I must simply be patient and lie on the bed in the backstroke position, the swimming pool once again a distant dream.


I thought I had my life back, but I was wrong.


2 comments:

  1. Caroline!
    Don't know how I missed your first post about radiation, but I was shocked/saddened to read this one and to imagine you suffering so much. Not fair! Haven't you paid your penance already, with chemo? I had no idea that radiation could be so debilitating. As usual, I am learning from you. I hope Ayvalik is not too distant a memory for you....it was such a dream come true for us, and you were the catalyst. Words cannot describe it. But wait, your words could -- and will, I'm sure!
    Fondly,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am amazed you were able to write even brief post.
    I hate this for you, know must feel like foreverness...
    Isn't.
    But doesn't mean it doesn't feel like it.
    I had pet scan yesterday to determine whether more chemo nec. Results next Wednesday (appt w/oncologist).
    Am not in pain tho - for which am grateful - for which feel guilty, because you are, and I had mini-emotional meltdown yesterday due solely to stress, not pain...
    Breathe.
    Try to focus.
    #thistooshallpass
    *starting to want to bitch slap people who say that to me but have need to hear nonetheless...*

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.